Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
You can apply as a new applicant or if you wish to transfer from your existing social housing property.

You can apply as a single person, couple or family. A group of people can also join to make a group application.

You will need to:

  • Complete an application. There are three ways to apply for social housing
    • Online application
    • Paper application
    • Through a support agency
  • Include proof of identity, residency status and income. To find out more, see proof of identity
  • Include any other documents needed for each person applying.

Check the list of Victorian Housing Register areas to find the name of your preferred location area.

If you put in an application, remember to tell us if your address or circumstances change.

How do I apply?

Online application

You can apply for social housing online using the Victorian Housing Register Application through myGov:

  • Go to the myGov website and sign in to your myGov account. If you don't have one, you'll need to create a myGov account (it should only take a few minutes)
  • Pick 'HousingVic online services' in myGov's 'Services' section - this will link it to your myGov account
  • Open HousingVic online services and select 'Victorian Housing Register application'

Once you have filled out the online application and attached any documents needed, a copy of the completed application will be sent to your email address.

Paper application

If you do not want to apply online, download and print the

You can also get copies of these applications from one of our offices.

These applications let you tell us about yourself, another adult household member and up to four dependants or people under the age of 18 who will live with you.

If there are other adults or dependants who will live with you and you need more space, use the:

If there are health-related reasons why you need to live in a particular place or type of property, get your health professional to complete the special accommodation requirements form (.pdf). An accessible version of the special accommodation requirements form (.docx) is also available.

Send the forms and the documents we need to:

Victorian Housing Register
Department of Health and Human Services – HCC
Reply Paid 933
Moe VIC 3825

Through a support agency

If you are homeless and receiving support, or you need housing urgently, you may be eligible for Priority Access. You will need a support worker to fill in an application form for you. 

Support workers can access the form through the Funded Agency Channel.

If you do not have a support worker, find out how to get one on our Crisis and emergency contacts page.

Use Centrelink Confirmation eServices

Centrelink Confirmation eServices (CCES) is an online service that allows us to get information directly from Centrelink to confirm your eligibility for housing services.

You can use the service to allow us to get information for:

  • Income confirmation
  • Contact and address verification.

Using the service means you won't have to tell us about your income or contact details.

CCES has strict privacy and security standards. We must have your consent before we can get information about you from Centrelink. For more information, see Centerlink's Confirmation eServices.

To register for CCES, complete the Victorian housing register centrelink consent form (.docx).

Where can I live?

You cannot choose a specific suburb to live in. This is because social housing properties are grouped into areas.

Preferred areas are made up of neighbouring suburbs and towns that are linked by public transport.

You can choose up to five waiting list areas to live in. We may offer you a property in any suburb from these areas.

You can change your preferred areas if you need to while your application is on the waiting list.

If you have a medical condition and a specific hospital or doctor must treat you, you can ask for housing in an area that lets you easily travel to them.

You may also need to live in a particular type of housing. For example, if you use a wheelchair, you can ask for a property without steps.

See the list of Victorian Housing Register areas (.doc) to help you choose.

What if I need help to apply?

The Victorian Housing Register guide (.docx) has information to help you fill in the application.

Contact your local housing office:

  • If you need an interpreter or
  • To find out which community service organisations can help you.

You can also ask a community service organisation, family member or friend to help.

Special housing needs?

You may have special housing needs if you or a household member:

  • Have a medical condition that is being treated by a health practitioner
  • Need to live in a particular type of housing (like a house with wheelchair access).

Fill in the special accommodation requirements form (.pdf). An accessible version of the special accommodation requirements form (.docx) is also available

If you have a health professional treating you, they will need to fill in the form as well.

What if I need housing urgently?

If you can show you qualify for priority access, you may be offered a home from the Victorian Housing Register sooner.

You may be eligible for priority access if:

  • You are subject to violence in your home
  • You need to move for health reasons
  • Your home is too small for everyone in your household
  • You are living in emergency, crisis or transitional housing
  • You are staying with someone temporarily while you look for a home.

There are different Priority Access categories. Fore more information on priority access categories, see Social housing eligibility.

What happens once I submit my application?

You will be sent an acknowledgement letter when your application is received. If we need more information we will contact you.

We will assess your application against the eligibility criteria for the Victorian Housing Register.

If your application is approved, you will receive a letter with a reference number called a service ID number. Use this number if you need to speak to us about your application.

If your application is not approved, you will receive a letter explaining why.

You can contact your local housing office to ask about your application or to tell us of any changes.

From time to time, we might contact you to see if you are still interested in social housing.

We will contact you once we have a home to offer you, so it's important to let us know if you change your address or contact details.

What happens to my information? 

We ask for personal information about you (and anyone else living with you) so we can assess your application and allocate housing.

Any information you give us will only be used for the purpose it was asked for. You can find more information about this on our Privacy page.

Some changes were made to the Housing Act 1983 so information can be shared in the Victorian Housing Register between organisations. For more information on the changes and information sharing see Amending the Housing Act 1983: Questions and answers for social housing applicants (.doc).

Keep your details up to date

Once you put in an application it is very important you tell us if your circumstances change, if you have found other accommodation or if you move.

If we can't contact you, your name may be taken off the register.

If you need to change your:

  • Address
  • Contact details
  • Household members
  • Preferred area you would like to live in.

Update your application by filling in the Change of application details form (.pdf). There is also an accessible version of the Change of application details form (.doc).

Emergency contact

Fill in the Emergency contact form (.doc) so we know who to contact if there is ever an emergency.

Getting you more help

The Authority to release information to an external party form (.doc) gives us permission to send your information to another agency that can help you.

We use this to refer you or get you help from them.

Other housing assistance

You may be eligible for:

What happens if I am not happy with the service or a decision you make?

If you are not happy with a process or a decision we have made there is a process you can follow. See Feedback, complaints and appeals for more information.