Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
Financial help and services for private renters. Includes information about concessions, hardship support, loans, financial advice and counselling.


Concessions are available to low income Victorians having difficulty paying their council rates, water, gas and electricity bills. There are other concessions you might be eligible for, like cooling and utility relief.

Try the concessions search tool on the DFFH Services website to find out what you can apply for.

Housing Establishment Fund

Some community organisations provide bond loans through the Housing Establishment Fund (HEF).

This fund is a program that provides financial help to eligible people with a housing-related hardship.

HEF is jointly funded by the Victorian and Australian governments under the National Affordable Housing Agreement.

You can apply for HEF through a community organisation. There's a list of service providers on our DFFH Services website or search for HEF providers near you using the Infoxchange Service Seeker website.

Centrelink's Crisis Payment

This payment helps people receiving benefit payments who are experiencing difficult or extreme circumstances. It is a one off payment equal to one week at your existing income-support rate. Go to Centrelink's crisis payment section for more information.