Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
Commonwealth Rent Assistance is financial help to eligible people getting a Centrelink payment who pay rent and are not public renters.
The money is added on to your Centrelink pension, allowance or benefit.

Am I eligible for Commonwealth Rent Assistance?

If you are a pensioner, receive a Centrelink payment or receive more than the base rate of the family tax benefit, you may be eligible.

For more, see Centrelink's information on Rent Assistance eligibility and payment rates.

How do I apply for Commonwealth Rent Assistance?

Apply directly through Centrelink.

  • You will not need to lodge a separate claim for rent assistance. Centrelink works out if you are eligible when you apply for a payment or tell them your accommodation details have changed
  • Centrelink will need proof that you pay rent
  • You will need to complete a rent certificate.

For more on how to apply, see Centrelink's information on claiming Rent Assistance.