Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
If you want to move out of your public housing property, you must tell your housing services officer in writing.

I want to move out

It's important you tell us you want to move out at least 28 days before you leave by completing and signing the Renter's General Notice of Termination form – forms are available at your local housing office.

You will need to tell us:

  • When you are leaving
  • Your new address and contact details (including phone number and email address).

Contact your local housing office if you have any questions or need more information. You can also refer to the moving out – information for public housing renters form

I need to move urgently

If you need to move out urgently, contact your housing services officer as soon as you can before you leave.

You will still need to complete a General Notice of Termination form and return the keys to ensure your tenancy is finalised and rent is no longer charged. We can also discuss your housing needs and accommodation options. 

What do I need to do before I leave?

We would like to meet with you before you leave to complete a final inspection and discuss the condition of your home.

Before the keys are handed in, you are expected to leave your home clean and tidy. If there is damage, a mess or any rubbish, you may have to pay for repairs or to have the home cleaned.

If you made alterations, you might need to have them removed. Ask your housing services officer if you need to do this.

A checklist for moving out

Provide 28 days notice in writing

Provide 28 days written notice of your intention to vacate by completing and signing a Tenant’s General Notice of Termination form.

Clean your home
  • Clean all internal areas, including the living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry, toilet and bedroom(s)
  • Clean the stove top, hot plates, grill and oven  
  • Wash out all the drawers and cupboards
  • Wash the floors and vacuum the carpets
Remove furniture, fittings and belongings
  • Remove any fittings you have installed, unless it has been agreed for the alteration to remain
  • Remove all your furniture and belongings, (including from any storage sheds, common areas, stairs, landings and passages)
Tidy the garden

Make sure the garden area belonging to the property is mowed and left in a tidy condition

Fix any damage

Any damage is fixed in a professional way – if this is not possible, the damage can be discussed at the final inspection

Disconnect services

Disconnect relevant services, such as the power, phone, internet, pay TV, water and gas 

Redirect your mail

Consider using the mail redirection service provided by Australia Post 

Before you leave

Complete a final inspection

A final inspection is to be completed with a housing services officer from your local housing office

Complete a final check

Ensure all items are removed, including things you don’t want anymore (items should not be left in any storage sheds, common areas, stairs, landings, passages or nature strips)

Clean and secure the property

Make sure it is in a reasonably clean condition and lock all windows and doors

Go to your local housing office

Return the keys to your local housing office and sign a Tenant’s General Notice of Termination form (if not already completed during the intention to vacate process)


Note: You may incur charges for any damage not reasonably assessed as being fair wear and tear or for the removal of any goods you leave behind.

What if it is decided that I need to pay repair costs?

Before final decisions are made about your responsibility to pay repair costs (outside of normal fair wear and tear), we would like to talk to you to understand your circumstances. 

The department will consider reducing or waiving repair costs when factors such as family violence, a disability, a physical or mental health condition or an unknown person (such as someone breaking into your home) contributed to the repairs needed.

Considering property damage

When considering maintenance repair claims, we may need further evidence to support how your circumstances contributed to any damage or deterioration in the condition of your property. This evidence can be provided by:

  • Support workers
  • Treating health practitioners
  • Witnesses 
  • Police.

Where family violence is involved, we will accept advice from your family violence worker or other relevant support worker as evidence to support your claim.

What if I disagree with the final decision about what you expect me to pay?

Your case will be reviewed by a senior manager at your local housing office.

If you remain unhappy with the decision after a local review, you can apply for a formal departmental appeal. To find out more about the appeals process you can contact the Housing Appeals Office on 1800 807 702 or talk to staff at the local housing office.

If we can’t reach an agreement with you, we may apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an order for the assessed maintenance costs. If this happens, you will also be able to have your side of the matter heard by VCAT. 

Advocacy and information

You can have an advocate or support person with you when you talk to us. 

For information and assistance, you can contact Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 558 181, Tenants Victoria on 9416 2577 or Victoria Legal Aid on 1300 792 387.

Can I get a reference regarding my tenancy?

We will provide a letter of good standing after the final inspection to thank you for leaving the property and any garden in reasonable condition and to confirm you had a successful public housing tenancy.