Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
Supported accommodation is a type of housing that provides higher level care and support for people with particular needs.

Supported accommodation

Under the NDIS, supported accommodation is separated into two different parts:

  • Specialised housing such as shared supported accommodation or community residential units, known as Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) and
  • Supported services, knows as Supported Independent Living (SIL).

SIL providers are different to SDA providers. This separation under the NDIA will assist to improve choice and control for participants by allowing for a change of one support or accommodation provider without necessarily changing another.

Participants who do not have SDA in their plan may still be able to access SIL supports if they have private accommodation such as living at home with their families, living alone or sharing with others.

An NDIA planner is responsible for identifying if an NDIS participant requires SDA, SIL or both.

What is Specialist Disability Accommodation?

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) refers to accommodation for people who require specialist housing solutions, including to assist with the delivery of supports that cater for their extreme functional impairment or very high support needs. 

Am I eligible for SDA?

To access SDA places you will need to have SDA included in your NDIS plan.

To find out other housing options you might have, use our housing options finder.

How do I apply?

In the first instance, you should contact the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) which is the Commonwealth Government agency responsible for administering the NDIS.

An NDIS planner will work with you to develop an individualised plan. Your NDIS plan should have SDA included. Once you have SDA included in your plan you can search through the Housing Hub website.

How much will I pay?

People who live in SDA pay rent and utility costs.

The rent is a percentage of Commonwealth Disability Support Pension and Rent Assistance payments.

Supported Residential Services

Supported Residential Services (SRS) provide accommodation and support for people who need help in everyday life, for instance people who are frail or have a disability.

These services do not receive government funding, they are operated privately.

SRS providers must be registered with the state government and are monitored to ensure they provide certain standards of personal support and accommodation.

Services provided, people accommodated and fees charged vary based on the SRS provider.

See our Health website for more information about supported residential services.

Aged care homes

Residential care services provide accommodation and support for older people that need care and can no longer live at home.

The properties are owned and operated by individuals and organisations. They have Australian Government approval to provide residential care.

For more information:

Other options for living independently

These options may also help people with particular needs to live independently:

  • Home renovation loans: Home renovation loans for home owners and loans for private renters finding it hard to stay comfortably and safely in their homes.
    Home renovation loans can help people pay for work needed to be done to their home for health and safety reasons.
  • Movable units: These units are fully self-contained and set up in the backyard of suitable properties.
    They allow older people and people with support needs live independently while being close to friends or family.