Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
Once you have been approved for social housing, you will be put on the Victorian Housing Register.

Priority for housing is given to people who need help because of homelessness or other critical circumstances.

Victorian Housing Register categories

There are two categories for social housing applications:

  • Priority Access for people:
    • Who are homeless and receiving support
    • Who are escaping family violence
    • With a disability or who have significant support needs or
    • With special housing needs.
  • Register of Interest – this is for all eligible applicants to register their interest in social housing.

Check for private rental properties that suit you

While you are on the Victorian Housing Register you should regularly check for private rental properties that may be suitable for you.

You may be eligible for a bond loan and Commonwealth Rent Assistance to help you with the costs of renting privately.

On this website, you can find:

Check limited demand properties available now

There are some public housing properties available now. These are known as limited demand properties. These properties are usually in more remote or rural areas.

Current limited demand properties – updated March 2024

Keep your details up to date

Once you put in an application it is very important you tell us if your circumstances change, if you have found other accommodation or if you move.

If we can't contact you, your name may be taken off the register.

If you need to change your:

  • Address
  • Contact details
  • Household members
  • Preferred area you would like to live in.

Update your application by filling in the Change of application details form (.pdf). There is also an accessible version of the Change of application details form (.doc).