Priority for housing is given to people who need help because of homelessness or other critical circumstances.
Victorian Housing Register categories
There are two categories for social housing applications:
- Priority Access for people:
- Who are homeless and receiving support
- Who are escaping family violence
- With a disability or who have significant support needs or
- With special housing needs.
- Register of Interest – this is for all eligible applicants to register their interest in social housing.
Check for private rental properties that suit you
While you are on the Victorian Housing Register you should regularly check for private rental properties that may be suitable for you.
You may be eligible for a bond loan and Commonwealth Rent Assistance to help you with the costs of renting privately.
On this website, you can find:
- Financial help available to get into private rental
- Tips on Finding a place to rent
- Financial help to stay in private rental, including what concessions are available.
Check limited demand properties available now
There are some public housing properties available now. These are known as limited demand properties. These properties are usually in more remote or rural areas.
The list of limited demand properties is being updated and will be available in March 2023.
Keep your details up to date
Once you put in an application it is very important you tell us if your circumstances change, if you have found other accommodation or if you move.
If we can't contact you, your name may be taken off the register.
If you need to change your:
- Contact details
- Household members
- Preferred area you would like to live in.
Update your application by filling in the Change of application details form (.pdf). There is also an accessible version of the Change of application details form (.doc).