Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
You can apply by yourself, as a couple or as part of a shared household.

Do not pay a bond until your loan is approved. We cannot refund the bond amount once it's been paid to the residential rental provider or agent (except in special cases).

To find out if you are eligible, see RentAssist bond loan eligibility.

When should I apply?

You can apply after you have lodged an application with your residential rental provider or estate agent for a property.

How do I apply?

You can apply by yourself, as a couple or as part of a shared household.

1. Complete an application

Online application

You can apply for a bond loan online using the RentAssist bond loan through myGov:

  • Go to the myGov website and sign in to your myGov account. If you don't have one, you'll need to create a myGov account (it should only take a few minutes)
  • Pick 'HousingVic online services' in myGov's 'Services' section - this will link it to your myGov account
  • Open HousingVic online services and select 'RentAssist Bond Loan application’.

You can use one online bond application to apply on behalf of all household members who are part of the tenancy and wish to apply for a bond loan.

Once you have filled out the online application and attached any documents needed, you will be sent a confirmation email to your email address.

Paper application

Fill in an Application for a bond loan (.docx)

Only one bond loan application form is needed for a property. Each member of your household applying for the bond loan must agree to repay the loan and take part in any legal proceedings about returning the bond money.

If more than three household members are applying and you are using a paper application, fill in an Additional bond loan applicants form (.docx) as well.

2. Take your bond loan application to your residential rental provider or agent

They must fill in the section in the application about the property you will rent.

If your residential rental provider does not use a real estate agent, they must also confirm they own the property or give us permission to check this with the local council.

3. What documentation will I need before lodging a bond application?

You will need to include documentation with your bond loan to prove your bond loan eligibility. This will include proof of identity documents and documentation to show that you are within the income and asset limits

4. How will my information be used?

The information that you provide in your bond application is the minimum needed to determine eligibility. For more details about how your information is used, refer to Privacy impact assessment (.docx).

What happens next?

If your bond loan is approved

We will tell you when your loan is approved and will email the bond loan voucher directly to the residential rental provider or real estate agent. 

This voucher acts as a lodgement form and is to be provided to your agent or residential rental provider who will use this to lodge the bond with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.

If your bond loan application is declined

If you are unhappy about our decision, you have the right to appeal. See Appeal a decision for more information.

What if I need help?

If you need more information or have questions we haven't answered here:

  • Give us a call on 1300 475 170 (local call in Victoria) or (61 3) 9096 0000

  • Contact your local office.