Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
If you do not agree or are unhappy with a decision, you may be able to appeal to have it reviewed.

The following video will help you understand the Public Housing appeals process and guide you through the steps to appeal a decision you are unhappy with.

Public Housing appeals video transcript (Word)


What types of decisions can I appeal?

You can appeal decisions about:

  • your housing application such as
    • eligibility for social housing
    • eligibility for priority access housing
    • removal of an application
    • special accommodation requirements
  • offers of public housing
  • rental rebate assessments
    • cancellation of a rebate
    • backdating a rebate assessment
    • rental subsidies
  • renter responsibility charges
  • bond assistance scheme
  • requests for disability modifications
  • movable units
  • transfer of tenancy.
What can I not appeal?

Matters for the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal reviews matters relating to:

  • Rental arrears recovery
  • Emergency and responsive maintenance requests

If you want to have one of these matters reviewed, you need to contact the tribunal directly on 1300 01 8228 (1300 01 VCAT).

More than one appeal on the same issue

Generally appeals can only be considered once if no further information is provided.

How do I appeal?
  1. Discuss your concerns with your Department of Families, Fairness and Housing local office. Sometimes the problem can be resolved just by talking about it
  2. If you are still not happy, you can lodge an appeal by going to Housing appeals online form webpage and filling in the electronic form. Alternatively, you can also appeal in writing. Fill in the Housing appeals application form (.doc). Fill in the Housing appeals application form (.doc).
  3. Whether you decide to lodge an appeal online, or in writing, you will need to:
    • Explain what you are appealing against and why
    • Include copies of any documents you want to submit that support your case.
  4. If you need help completing the form, a Tenancy Plus provider can help you. To find your nearest Tenancy Plus provider, visit the Tenancy Plus provider page.
  5. Return the form by:
    • completing the steps in the online form, and selecting ‘submit’
    • posting your paper form to:
      Housing Appeals Office
      PO Box 4057 
      Melbourne VIC 3001 (the address is also on the form)
    • emailing your paper form to
    • taking your paper form in person to your local office.

If you have questions or need help filling in your application, call the Housing Appeals Office on 1800 807 702.

Check the Guide to housing appeals (.docx) for more information and a list of local office contact details.

Where can I get a housing appeals application form?
What happens to my appeal?

The appeals process has two stages – we call them tiers. If your appeal is not resolved in the first tier, it automatically goes to the second.

Tier 1: Review by the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing local office

Once you submit your application, we will send you a letter of receipt.

Your appeal will then be considered based on the information in your application.

The review is usually finished within ten working days from when we receive your appeal.

The office that made the decision will write to you about the outcome.

If your appeal is not successful, it automatically goes to the Housing Appeals Office for an independent review. This is the tier two review.

Tier 2: Review by the Housing Appeals Office

This review looks at whether our policy and procedures were applied correctly and finds any issues that need investigation.

An appeals information officer will always try to contact you to discuss your appeal before making a decision.

After investigating the matters raised in your appeal, the Housing Appeals Office may ask the office that made the original decision to review their decision.

If the original decision is changed you will be notified that your appeal has been successful.

If the Housing Appeals Office finds that the original decision was correct, your appeal has been unsuccessful. You will be sent an explanation of the outcome.

What if I am still not happy with the decision?

If you are not happy with the outcome of your review, there are other avenues available to you through:

For more detailed information, refer to the Housing Appeals Policy in the Business Practice manual.