Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
You must meet the department's eligibility criteria to be approved for a bond loan.

You are eligible for a bond loan if:

  • You meet the bond loan income and asset eligibility limits
  • You are a permanent Australian resident
  • Your share of the rent is less than 55 per cent of your gross (before tax) weekly income
  • You do not own or part-own a house, flat or unit
  • You have repaid any previous bond loans
  • You do not owe any money on previous or current public housing tenancies.

There are exemptions to some of these rules. Contact your local housing office for more information.

To find out what housing options and help you may be eligible for, use our housing options finder.

Income and assets

Each applicant's income and assets must be within the income and assets limits to be eligible for a bond loan. 

Proof of identity

You must give us documents that prove each applicant's identity.

This can be either:

  • One form of photo identification that has a signature (like a passport or driver's licence), or
  • Two other identity documents (like a Medicare card, health care card or birth certificate).
  • The documents must add up to 100 points.

For examples of the documents we can accept and how many points they are worth, see Proof of Identity.

If you do not have 100 points of identification, contact your local office. They may be able to help you in special circumstances.

Proof of residency

You must also give us proof of residency status for each household member not born in Australia.

This can be:

  • A Certificate of Australian citizenship
  • Visa
  • Passport, or
  • A letter from the Department of Home Affairs