Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
There are four ways that you can pay your rent: direct debit from your Centrelink payments, direct debit from your bank account, online through HousingVic online services and at the post office.

Direct debit from your Centrelink payments

You can have your payment taken from your fortnightly Centrelink payments automatically.

This is called the Rent Deduction Service. It's free and your payment will always be up to date.

You can also make rental arrears and maintenance payments this way.

When you sign your residential rental agreement, we automatically sign you up for this service.

You can cancel it at any time if you don't want to use it.

If you are not signed up and want to, contact your local housing office.

Direct debit from your bank account

You can have your payment amount paid automatically from your bank account. Some banks might charge a fee for this, so check with your bank.

To arrange a direct debit payment, fill in the direct debit authority form (.doc) and return it to your local office.

Change your direct debit

If you want to stop, pause or change the direct debit, contact your local housing office.

You will need to tell us what you want changed:

  • In writing
  • At least 5 business days before your next payment is due.

Online through HousingVic Online Services

You can make a payment using your bank direct debit card online. You can also request an account statement to be sent to your myGov inbox. For more information about this online service and more, go to the HousingVic online services page. 

At the post office

You can make your payment using your rent payment card at any Victorian Australia Post outlet or agency.  This card can only be used to pay your rent.

Go to the Australia Post website to find your nearest Australia Post office.

Check your payments

If you are a renter and want to check your rental account balance or see if a payment has been received you can do this online using HousingVic Online Services or contact your local housing office.

If you are a resident, you can ask the renter in your household to check your payments for you.

The renter will need to give us:

  • The property's address or service ID
  • Proof of the renter's identity.

Residents can make payments

Renters can give residents of their household consent to make payments into their rental or maintenance account via bank direct debit. This does not grant the resident rights to the property, but it can help to make it easier to manage the weekly payment amount.

Renters can give residents consent online, contacting their local housing office or completing the Consent for residents to make payments (Word).

Difficulties paying

If you can't pay your rent, tell your local office straight away – they will help you work out what to do.

You can also ask for help from the Tenancy plus support program. They offer support to help you keep your tenancy.

    What happens if I get behind in my payments?

    If you get more than $5 behind in your rent, we send you a letter asking you to pay the unpaid amount.

    We will give you one week from receiving the letter to contact us to talk about your repayment options.

    If you don't contact us, your housing officer will contact you.

    It is important not to ignore our letters or messages so that we can talk to you about your repayment options.

    What are my repayment options?

    Repayment options give you opportunities to make up a missed payment.

    If you can't pay the amount you owe straight away, we may be able to arrange a 'local agreement' with you. This means you would pay your weekly rent plus an extra amount over an agreed time.

    It is important to stick to the agreement. If you are unable to make payments on your local agreement we may need to take action through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

    How to make repayments on previous tenancy accounts

    If you owe money on a previous tenancy account you can make repayments using one or more of the following methods:

    • Direct debit from your Centrelink payments
    • Direct debit from your bank account
    • Online through HousingVic Online Services
    • At the post office

    Contact your local housing office for further information and to arrange a repayment agreement.

    What is the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal?

    The Victorial Civil and Administrative Tribunal is an independent tribunal (like a court). The tribunal hears and makes decisions on a range of disputes, including those between residential rental providers and renters.

    Do I have to go to the tribunal hearing?

    If you have to go to a tribunal hearing, you can explain to the tribunal why your rent payments haven't been made.

    The tribunal listens to you (the renter) and us (the residential rental provider). It then makes a decision based on the law.

    What happens at the tribunal?

    If you have not made your rental payments, the tribunal may establish a legal agreement.

    This is the same as a local agreement except that it is backed by law.

    If you break the legal agreement, we can return to the tribunal and ask for an order for possession. This means you may not be able to stay in the property any more.

    It is important that you go to the hearing to explain why you have not paid your rent.

    If you don't go, the tribunal won't be able to hear your side of the story and could issue an order for possession against you.

    What happens if the department gets an order for possession?

    An order for possession means you don't have a legal right to stay in the property any more.

    If the tribunal grants this order, your housing officer will write and ask you to visit your local office for an interview.

    At the interview you'll be given an opportunity to pay back what you owe.

    If you don't pay, we'll get a warrant of possession allowing us to evict you.

    How to avoid legal action
    • Always make your payment on time
    • Make your payments from your Centrelink payment or bank account. This way, your payment is automatically paid on time
    • Contact your local office immediately if you can't pay or if you forget to pay. This way, you won't get too far behind and we have a better chance of helping you to repay the money you owe
    • Never ignore a letter from us if you are behind in your payment. We may have to take legal action against you.

    Where does my rent go?

    Your rent helps maintain and make public housing safer.

    In 2015-16, your rental payments contributed to: