Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
As a public housing renter, you are responsible for how much gas, electricity and water your household uses.
You are also responsible for paying the bill for these utilities.

Gas and electricity

Find the best energy plan

Use the Victorian Government's Victorian Energy Compare tool to find the best deals on power bills for your household.

Answer a few questions about your household and your energy bills and the Energy Compare tool shows you relevant energy plans in your area.

The regularly updated tool lets you compare the latest electricity, gas and solar offers from energy retailers.

Energy concessions

If you have a relevant concession card, you may be eligible for an energy concession.

Visit our human services website for a list of energy concessions you can apply for.


All public housing renters must contribute to the cost of the water they use – whether or not they have a separate water meter.

If your home has a separate water meter

You pay the bill that your local water company sends you. The bill will show how much water you have used.

How it works

  • Before you move into your home, you must tell your water company that you will be the new renter. Your housing services officer can give you the name of your water company
  • The water company will read your water meter. They charge you for the water you use from the day you move in
  • When you receive your bill, you pay the water company directly. Ask the water company if you are eligible for a concession
  • Before you move out of your home, you must tell the water company. This is so you are not charged for water used after you leave.

If your home does not have a separate water meter

You pay a standard weekly service charge to cover the cost of the water you use.

The charge is in addition to your normal rent and will be shown on your rental account statement. You can pay it in the same way you pay your rent.

Weekly service charges

The weekly service charges are:

  • Bedsit: $0.60
  • One bedroom: $1.05
  • Two bedrooms: $1.50
  • Three bedrooms: $1.70.

These charges were worked out based on how much water public housing renters have used in the past.

The cost has been lowered by including the government concession for water use and sewerage disposal charges. This was done so that individual renters are not disadvantaged.

Water saving tips
Whether it is wet or dry in Victoria, we must all continue to use water wisely. Half the water that you use in your home is in the bathroom and laundry. You can make a difference everyday, by choosing simple ways to be water-wise.

In the meantime, we are working to help you save water. We have installed water-saving fittings, such as WELS 3-star rated shower heads and dual flush toilets in public housing properties across Victoria.

Some of our lawns and community gardens are watered with rain water recycled from laundries. In some places, rain water is collected to wash cars. There are also water tanks in more public housing community gardens.

Saving water at home – be water-wise

Here are some ways you can use water wisely at home and in the garden:

  • Have a shower in four minutes or less
  • Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth, shaving, cleaning dishes or preparing food
  • Turn off the taps tightly but gently so they do not drip. If they drip, call the housing call centre on 131 172
  • Rinse vegetables in the sink or in a bowl and reuse the water.
  • Collect the cold water while waiting for the hot water from your tap in the kitchen and bathroom
  • Have a full load of washing before starting the washing machine.
  • Grow water-wise plants
  • Mulch the garden
  • Water your garden during permitted watering times
  • Use a hose with a trigger nozzle
  • Do not use water to clean hard surfaces, such as driveways.

More information

For more information, contact your local office.