Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
If your home needs responsive maintenance, contact the Housing Call Centre.

Report non urgent repairs

If your repair is not urgent, you can fill in the Report non-urgent repairs online form or contact the Housing Call Centre.

Non-urgent repairs are minor jobs, like a damaged cupboard or clothesline.

For more information on urgent and non urgent repairs, see Repair times.

Contact the Housing Call Centre

You can contact them in three ways:

If you phone the housing call centre, a customer service representative will ask you:

  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Your telephone number
  • What maintenance you wish to report.

We will then report your maintenance to our contractors for action.

Paying for maintenance

We will pay for the cost of repairs caused by an accident or fair wear and tear.

If repairs are because of neglect or intentional damage caused by you, a household member or visitors to the property, you may be required to pay for the damage.

You may pay for the repairs in a lump sum. If you can't pay the full amount, contact your local housing office to arrange a repayment plan to suit your circumstances.

If you believe the damage was not your fault, contact your local housing office to discuss and negotiate the charges. You can also dispute the charges through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

If repairs are needed because of unlawful damage, like if someone breaks into your home, you will not have to pay as long as you report the incident to police. Your local office will need to see a copy of the police report.

Fixing your maintenance problem

We employ professional contractors to carry out maintenance, like plumbers and electricians.

Check the contractor's identification before you let them into your home.

Sometimes we may need to arrange a home visit by the local office to determine the best way to repair a fault.

The contractor will need access to repair the fault.

Contractor's code of conduct

There is a code of conduct for public housing contractors (.docx).

We do not employ contractors who do not follow the code.

The code sets out rules that contractors must follow.

These rules include:

  • Give tenants notice before you start work and explain the process and nature of the work
  • Wear your ID card
  • Be polite and courteous at all times
  • Consider tenants' health, safety, comfort and security
  • Don't get mud, paint, grease or other dirt in people's homes - if you do, clean it up.

Contractors must not do things like:

  • Use offensive language or play loud music
  • Smoke indoors or work under the influence of alcohol or prohibited substances
  • Use any part of the building or site (for example, for storage or parking) without first getting agreement from us or the tenant.

Read all the rules and responsibilities in the code of conduct for public housing contractors (.docx).

If you think the contractor is not following the code of conduct, contact your local housing office.

The tenant's responsibilities

As a tenant you have a responsibility to:

  • Be polite and courteous to the contractors
  • Give contractors the necessary access and freedom to do their work so that it can be done as quickly as possible
  • Keep appointments with contractors. If a contractor is delayed, give them a reasonable amount of time before you leave
  • Restrain or pen your animals and pets if they are a health and safety risk, could escape or if the contractor asks you to
  • Empty kitchen and bathroom cupboards if you are asked to by the contractor
  • Move ornaments, paintings, clothing and other personal, small items and fixtures (the contractor will help moving large items like furniture or appliances)
  • Respect the right of others to feel safe, including contractors, consultants and our staff. If the contractor is threatened or their property may be damaged, they will leave and notify us
  • Sign and date the inspection and test plan given to you by the contractor. Tick the box indicating whether the work has been completed or not.

Tell your local office if you:

  • Want to change or add to the work required. Do not ask the contractors - they cannot change the work requirements
  • Need more information or help to move and secure your possessions.

Concerns about the work

If you think the contractor is not following the code of conduct, contact your local housing office.

If you are worried about the standard of work for general maintenance, call the Housing Call Centre on 13 11 72.

If you are worried about the standard of work for upgrades and programmed maintenance (planned, large scale work like replacing carpets), refer it to the consultant who is overseeing the work. Don't refer it to the contractor doing the work. You should already have the consultant's contact details.