Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
Information on modifications and alterations, including how to request general modifications and alterations and changes for disability or health and safety reasons

Modifications that can be made without permission

New rental laws allow you to make certain modifications (at your own expense) without our consent.

This includes:

  • adding picture hooks
  • wireless doorbells
  • letterbox locks
  • Security lights, alarm systems and security cameras (that are not hard wired)

A full list of modifications that can be made without our consent is available on the Consumer Affairs website.

  • You must pay for the changes you want and for any ongoing costs, if there are any
  • When you move out, you must reverse the changes (fair wear and tear excepted) or you may be charged by us for the costs to remove them.
  • See Pay TV and satellite dishes to find out more about satellite television services in high rises.

Other modifications

Other types of modifications or alterations still require our consent.

How do I get permission to make modifications to my home?

  1. Fill in the Application for Modifications (internal/external works permit) form – (Word)
  2. Get a council permit if you need one. You must get – and pay for – any council permits that may be needed
  3. Take the form (and any permits) to your local office.

What happens next?

We will get back to you to tell you if permission is granted for the work.

We will need to inspect your home to see if the work can be done, especially if it is a complicated job.

Changes for disability or health and safety reasons

If you need to make changes for disability or health and safety reasons, like if you need handrails or ramps, speak to your housing services officer about how to get them made.

These changes are known as disability modifications. In most cases, disability modifications are provided free of charge when you ask for them and can give us a letter or a report from your occupational therapist or doctor.

How do I request a modification?

You can submit a request for aids, adaptations and disability modifications.

To do this, you may include:

The information you give us must confirm the need and urgency for the changes. It must also detail the type of disability modifications needed.

What happens next?

Minor disability modifications can usually be made to any dwelling quite quickly. These modifications may include:

  • Handrails and grabrails
  • Lever taps
  • Thermostatically-controlled mixing valves
  • Hand-held shower sets
  • Minor entry ramps (three steps or less)
  • Slip-resistant floors.

Major disability modifications, like bathrooms or specialised work that needs a structural permit or council approval, are usually referred on for specialist assessment.

The property is assessed to make sure it is suitable for major or full modifications before any works can start. We will contact you and your health care professional to discuss this assessment in more detail. If the modifications are not possible, we will discuss alternatives.