Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
Communal areas on public housing estates are private property and are for the people who live at the estate. They can be booked for events and meetings that promote renter involvement or have wider benefits for the community.

Communal areas can be used for events and meetings that promote renter involvement or have wider benefits for the community.

Community, not-for-profit and external organisations that want to hold meetings and events in communal areas will need to make a request in writing.

What are communal areas?

Communal areas are:

  • Common outdoor areas like gardens, walkways, playgrounds and sports areas
  • Community facilities like meeting areas, halls, kitchens and community rooms
  • Common residential areas like foyers, hallways, stairs, car parks, laundries and mail rooms.

How do I make a booking?

  1. Fill in the Application for event in communal areas on public housing estates (Word).
  2. If the event will involve media, film crews or photography, fill in the Application for filming or photography location agreement form (Word)
  3. Give the form and any extra information required to your local office.

There may be booking fees depending on the nature, size and type of event. Talk to your local office for more information.

Do I need insurance?

If you live in the estate, you will not need public liability insurance. As long as you fill in the application form and pay any fees there may be, you will be covered under our liability insurance.

Community service organisations that receive funding through us may be able to get public liability cover through the Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA). You can contact them on (03) 9270 6900 or visit the VMIA website for more information.

Everyone else will need to show proof of their public liability insurance cover. The insurance cover, which should be at least $10 million for any one occurrence, will need to be current for the period of the booking.

What else do I need to do?

Make sure:

  • Your event does not disturb the people who live on the public housing estate
  • You clean up after the event
  • There is no damage to the room, furniture or equipment.

If you want your event to be in a community facility (like a hall or kitchen), your staff or volunteers should have a current Working with Children Check card.

For more detailed information, read the guidelines on access to communal areas on our Service providers website.

Access by political parties to high-rise estates

Political parties can access mailrooms at high-rise estates to distribute political materials if the Residential Client Services or Housing Manager approves.

The political party register (.xlsx) is a record of political parties that have been allowed access.