Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
You can apply to transfer to another home if your circumstances change.

Who can get a transfer?

You may be able to apply to transfer to another social housing property if your:

  • Household situation changes
  • Home is not suitable anymore
  • Employment changes and you need to move a long way from where you are now.

You may also be able to apply for a priority transfer if you have an urgent housing need.

Urgent transfers

If you have an urgent need to transfer, you may be able to transfer homes more quickly.

An urgent housing need may be if:

  • You are subject to violence in your home
  • You need to move for health reasons
  • Your home is too small for everyone in your household

If you need to transfer urgently, contact your local office. We can discuss your needs and housing options.

Where can I transfer to?

Download the list of Victorian Housing Register areas.

Limited demand properties

There are some public housing properties available now. These are known as limited demand properties. These properties are usually in more remote or rural areas.

Check the list of limited demand properties available to see if there's a place that's right for you.

How long will I have to wait for a transfer?

Waiting times are different depending on your needs, the type of home you want and where you want to live.

If you get other accommodation while you are on the Victorian Housing Register, you need to tell your local office as soon as possible.

How do I apply for a transfer?

The first thing you need to do is contact your local housing office. We'll be able to tell you about all of your housing options.

If you decide to transfer, your local office will give you an application form. If you want to include more information about yourself or your situation, you can attach it to the application.

If you want help or have any questions about transfers, contact your local housing office.