Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
If you are going to be away from your home for any reason and for more than six weeks, you must tell your housing services officer in writing.

We'd still like to hear from you even if you will be away for less than six weeks. This is so we know who to contact if we need to get in touch with someone in your household.

How long can I be away?

An entire household is allowed to be away from home for up to six months.

This includes a sole tenancy, that is, you live by yourself. Extensions to the six-month period can only be granted in extremely exceptional circumstances. Talk to your housing services officer about this.

If your home is vacant for more than six months and an extension of the six-month period has not been approved we may need to take legal action to get the property back.

This is because we have to make sure public housing is used as effectively and fairly as we can.

Do I still have to pay rent?

Usually, you'll have to pay rent and look after your home, even when you're not there.

In some special circumstances you may be able to pay less rent. Discuss your circumstances with your housing services officer.

How do I tell you?

  1. Fill in the temporary absence form (.doc)
  2. Give it to your housing services officer.

More information

For more detailed information, see the temporary absence chapter in the tenancy management manual on our Providers website.