- Create a budget
- Talk to your lender about changing your repayments
- Talking to a free financial counsellor.
There is also help available through government and not-for-profit services.
MoneyHelp is a not-for-profit service supported by the Victorian and Australian governments. The service offers information and support to people struggling with debt, bills and ongoing expenses.
The MoneyHelp website has information and tools to help – whether you have just lost your job, need financial advice or need help managing your debt. Tools include a budget planner, sample hardship letters and step-by-step guides.
The Australian Government's Moneysmart website has information on services available for various situations – whether you are having trouble paying your mortgage or need urgent money help. There are also fact sheets, sample letters, calculators, budget planners and other tools to help you manage money.
You can get free financial counselling:
- Go to Moneysmart's Financial counselling page for information and to find a counsellor near you.
- Call the financial counselling hotline on 1800 007 007. Monday to Friday, 9.30 am to 4 pm. You will be automatically transferred to the Victorian service.
What to do if you can't pay your mortgage
If you are having trouble making your mortgage repayments, contact your lender right away and tell them:
- Why you missed a repayment
- How you plan to catch up – can you pay soon or over the next few months?
You can also ask your lender what they can do to help you get back on track.
See Moneysmart's Problems paying your mortgage page for tools and services to help you. They have advice if you:
- Are having trouble paying other bills
- Missed a mortgage repayment
- Are behind on your mortgage
- Want to help someone with mortgage problems.