Appeal a social housing decision

Last updated: 26 September 2017

If you do not agree with a decision made by us, you may be able to appeal to have it reviewed. Appeals are free and confidential.

What can I appeal?

You can appeal decisions about:

  • Bond loan scheme
    • Eligibility for bond assistance
  • Eligibility for:
    • Rental housing
    • Special housing needs program
    • Homeless with support category
    • Supported housing program
  • Allocation or offers of accommodation
  • Relocation
  • Mutual swaps
  • Car parking and allocation of a car bay
  • Revival of your rental application
  • Rental rebates, including:
    • Canceling a rebate
    • Backdating a rebate assessment
    • Rebate calculations
  • Movable units
  • Requests for special maintenance work, including:
    • Internal and external work permits
    • Security screen requests
    • Disability modification requests
    • Sleep-out applications.

Matters for the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal reviews matters relating to:

  • Rental arrears recovery
  • Emergency and responsive maintenance requests
  • Tenant responsibility charges.

If you want to have one of these matters reviewed, you need to contact the tribunal directly on 1300 01 8228 (1300 01 VCAT).

How do I appeal?

  1. Discuss your concerns with your local Department of Health and Human Services office. Sometimes the problem can be resolved just by talking about it
  2. If you are still not happy, you need to appeal in writing. Fill in the housing appeals application form (.doc)
    • Explain what you are appealing against and why
    • You will need to include copies of any documents that support your case
  3. Send the form to the Housing Appeals Office:
    Level 1, 50 Lonsdale Street
    Melbourne VIC 3000 (the address is also on the form).
    You can also take it to your local office.

If you have questions or need help filling in your application, call the Housing Appeals Office on (03) 9096 7426 or 1800 807 702 (free call).

Check the guide to housing appeals (.docx) for more information and a list of local office contact details.

Where can I get a housing appeals application form?

What happens to my appeal?

The appeals process has two stages – we call them tiers. If your appeal is not resolved in the first tier, it automatically goes to the second.

Tier 1: Review by the local Department of Health & Human Services office

Once you submit your application, we will send you a letter of receipt.

Your appeal will then be considered based on the information in your application.

The review is usually finished within ten working days from when we receive your appeal.

The office that made the decision will write to you about the outcome.

If your appeal is not successful, it automatically goes to the Housing Appeals Office for an independent review. This is the tier two review.

Tier 2: Review by the Housing Appeals Office

This review looks at whether our policy and procedures were applied correctly and finds any issues that need investigation.

An appeals information officer will always try to contact you to discuss your appeal before making a decision.

After investigating the matters raised in your appeal, the Housing Appeals Office may ask the office that made the original decision to review their decision.

If the original decision is changed you will be notified that your appeal has been successful.

If the Housing Appeals Office finds that the original decision was correct, your appeal has been unsuccessful. You will be sent an explanation of the outcome.

What if I am still not happy with the decision?

If you are not happy with the outcome of your review, there are other avenues available to you through:

For more detailed information, refer to the Housing Appeals Policy in the Business Practice manual.

Was this page useful?

Back to top