Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
If you are a public housing renter and have been impacted by the recent flood events, assistance and support is available.
On this page

Rent relief

Homes Victoria will provide six weeks of rent relief for public housing renters impacted by flooding events, effective from Sunday 16 October 2022.

This rent subsidy will apply to public housing renters who are directly impacted by flooding because they need to evacuate or are unable to live in their home for three nights or more.

There are 14 local government areas that are able to access the payment (as of 18 October 2022, more may be added in the coming days):

  • Benalla    
  • Boroondara    
  • Campaspe    
  • Central Goldfields    
  • Greater Bendigo    
  • Greater Shepparton    
  • Loddon    
  • Maribyrnong
  • Mitchell Shire
  • Moonee Valley
  • Mount Alexander
  • Murrindindi
  • Strathbogie
  • Yarra Ranges

Assessing property damage

Homes Victoria will assess every property impacted by recent flood events.

Once we have assessed your home for damage, we will let you know about any repairs that are needed and if you are eligible for further rent subsidy.

Eligibility for further rent subsidies will be based on:

  • Damage to key functions of the home, such as damage to cooking facilities, hot water, bath/shower or the use of a bedroom or lounge.  
  • Need for temporary relocation while the property is repaired.
  • Need to move to another property due to damage to the property.

Accessing public housing rental rebates

You may be impacted by the floods for other reasons, such as loss of income due to your place of work not operating due to the floods.

If your income has been impacted because of the floods you may be eligible for a reduction in rent.

Please contact your local housing office for a rebate form to have your weekly rental payment reassessed.

Further assistance and support

The following emergency assistance programs are available to all Victorians affected by the recent floods.  

Personal Hardship Assistance Program

The Victorian Government’s Personal Hardship Assistance Program is in place to support people experiencing financial hardship due to flooding events. The program includes emergency relief payments and emergency re-establishment payments.

Find more information at Vic Emergency.

Emergency relief assistance

A one-off payment can be provided to help meet immediate needs, including emergency food, shelter, clothing, medication, and accommodation.

Emergency financial assistance is available for community members whose homes have been impacted by the current flood emergency and who need support to meet their relief needs.

To access Victorian Emergency relief assistance payment, complete the Emergency payments online form.

For eligible applications, payments are distributed via direct deposit within three to five business days.

If you need to receive payment via a physical card, (for example, if you don’t have an email address), complete a call back form.

For further information, read the Emergency relief assistance payment factsheet.

Further information

If you need further information, contact your local housing office.