Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
The Public Tenant Employment Program (PTEP) helps people living in Victorian public housing get the hands-on experience and training they need to join the workforce.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible you must:

  • Live in public housing or transitional housing
  • Hold a concession or health care card.

Job opportunities

Employers and contractors who provide services to the department lodge job vacancies with the Public Tenant Employment Program. These vacancies cover a wide range of jobs including:

  • Trade apprenticeships
  • Office work
  • Labouring
  • Cleaning
  • Garden maintenance
  • Security services.

The vacancies are emailed to work and learning centres and employment service providers. For more information on work and learning centres, see Jobs Victoria.

Find vocational education and training courses

The Victorian Training Guarantee ensures that places are available to help eligible people gain new skills, upgrade existing skills or improve their employment prospects.

To find out more, see Get a training fee subsidy on the Department of Education and Training's website.

Victorian Skills Gateway

This is an online one-stop-shop for vocational education and training. It is the best place to start looking for a course and training provider to meet your needs.

To find out more, see the Victorian Skills Gateway website.

Learn Local

There are 300 Learn Local organisations across Victoria. They offer a range of education and training programs designed to meet different learning needs.

Learn Local can help you return to study, improve your reading, writing and maths skills, gain a qualification, get a job or learn something new.

To find out more, see the Learn Local website.

What help can I get?

Eligible public housing renters can apply for help to pay the enrolment fees at the concession rate.

Some examples of programs currently funded include Certificate III in Aged Care, Certificate IV in Disability Support and Certificate II in Trade Apprenticeships.

Help with fees

Training providers set fees at a level that they believe matches the quality, cost and reputation of their training.

Shop around for a course and price that is right for you.

Healthcare and pension card holders and their dependants, and Veteran Gold Card holders also get concessions for courses at Certificate IV level or below. Eligible concession card holders enrolling in qualifications up to Certificate IV level pay only 20 per cent of the standard course fee.

Those studying a diploma qualification or above may also get financial assistance through the Commonwealth Government’s VET FEE-HELP scheme.

To find out more about government assistance for tertiary study, see the Australian Government's Study Assist website.

How do I apply?

Contact us:

Gary's story

Public housing renter supported to get a clean break

Gary is a public housing renter that has benefited enormously from being part of the Public Tenant Employment Program.

He received the necessary training and support to become a cleaning contractor and is now working in property maintenance.

Gary started with the program as one of the directors of the Too Deadly Cleaning enterprise in 2005.

The enterprise worked on public housing high rise estates across Melbourne's CBD. It was responsible for cleaning upgraded properties and getting them ready for renters to return to their homes.

Being part of the program has helped me to gain self-pride and confidence, which has allowed me to go on to greater things both professionally and in my personal life, Gary said.

After five years running his own business, Gary decided to change direction and he worked for a cleaning contractor for four years.

More recently, Gary is working on getting his medium rigid truck licence and has started work with Valley Maintenance Services, a Department of Health and Human Services property maintenance contractor.