The Victorian Government is committed to providing better homes and stronger communities for all Victorians.
The following public housing estates will see redevelopment activity as part of the Victorian Government’s commitment:
- Ascot Vale estate
- New Street, Brighton
- Gronn Place, Brunswick West
- Bills Street, Hawthorn
- Tarakan and Bell Bardia estates, Heidelberg West
- Abbotsford Street, North Melbourne
- Walker Street, Northcote
- Oakover Road and Railway Place West and Stokes and Penola Streets, Preston
- Bangs Street, Prahran
- Flemington estate (walk-ups only).
This will create at least 1,800 new public housing homes, including social, private and affordable housing.
In March 2019 it was announced that the Victorian Government is joining together with development partners – MAB Corporation and community housing provider, HousingFirst – to completely rebuild the North Melbourne, Northcote and Preston estates.
For more information on the program, visit the Victorian Health and Human Services Building Authority's Housing page.
The new homes
The estates will have:
- Social, affordable and private housing
- An increased amount of new public housing
- A range of housing sizes to match the demand for social housing on the Victorian Housing Register.
The new homes will be:
- Built to modern standards and in line with the Better Apartments Design Standards
- Energy efficient – homes will be rated 7 stars on the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS) system
- Better suited to the ongoing needs of Victorians.
The homes will be made for modern living, with built-in storage, internal laundries and natural light and ventilation.
A client engagement team is working one-on-one with residents to support their move to a suitable location of their choice, while their estate is being redeveloped.
The Director of Housing has provided a legally binding deed poll to all tenants guaranteeing:
- The right to return to their estate when it’s redeveloped
- That the rent they pay will be calculated in the same manner as other public housing
- The same security of tenure as they have now.
Over 750 households have moved to a property of their choice as of May 2019.
For more information and to register for project updates email the Priority Projects Team or call on (03) 9096 5898.