Your rent

Last updated: 13 February 2015

Everyone living in public housing must pay rent.
It is a condition of your tenancy and important so you can stay living in your home.

How much rent will I pay?

You will pay the lower of either:

  • The property market rent – this is what the property would rent for in the private market
  • A rebated rent – this is a reduced amount based on 25 per cent of your household income.

Most households in public housing pay a rebated rent because of low income. Read more about market and rebated rent.

What is fixed rent?

Your rent amount is fixed for up to 26 weeks and reviewed in February and August. Your rent will stay the same between review dates, even if your household income goes up.

If your income goes down, you can apply to reduce your rent payments immediately.

Either way, always tell your local office right away if your income changes.

Will my rent change after the fixed rent period?

Each review may change the rent you pay in future. If this happens, we will write to let you know your new rent amount.

Neighbourhood renewal areas grace period

If you live in an area under a current neighbourhood renewal project and start a job, you will be eligible for a minimum 16-week 'grace' period before your rent goes up. This means that your rent will not take into account your new income during that time.

If the grace period:

  • Begins and ends in one fixed rent period - we use the actual income to work out the new amount you pay from the start of the next fixed rent period
  • Crosses a fixed rent effective date - the new amount you pay starts from the Sunday after the grace period ends.

Contact your local office to find out more

How do I pay my rent?

You need to pay your rent at least one week in advance.

There are three ways that you can pay. See Paying your rent to find out more.

What if I have trouble paying my rent?

If you have any problem paying your rent, contact your local office immediately. There is help available so don't leave it until it's too late. To find out more, go to Difficulty paying rent.

Keep your details up to date

Always remember to tell your local office right away if your income or household changes. Go to Household changes for more information.

Was this page useful?

Back to top