Older, rundown housing on the Bills Street estate will be replaced with new, modern, low maintenance homes.
Hawthorn's Bills Street estate has older, rundown buildings that cost a lot to maintain.
The project will build new, modern buildings and increase the number of social housing properties on the estate by 10 per cent. The estate will include private housing, which will help fund the project.
The renewed estate will have:
- More social housing
- A mix of social and private housing
- New accessible homes that suit older residents, people with disabilities, and families
- A range of housing sizes
- Better landscaping, outdoor facilities and community spaces.
The new homes
The new homes will be:
- Built to modern standards
- Accessible for all
- Sustainable homes that are cheaper to cool, heat and maintain
- Better suited to the ongoing needs of Victorians.
For more information on the project, read the Questions and answers about the Hawthorn renewal project (.docx).
If you're part of the Clifton Hill community, read the Questions and answers for the community about the Hawthorn renewal (.docx).
Some people living on the estates will be asked to move while the work happens. This shouldn’t start until late 2017.
You can choose to:
- Move permanently
- Return if the new housing suits your needs.
We will pay your moving and utility connection costs.
For more information, read the Questions and answers about Hawthorn relocations (.docx).
We’re talking to residents, neighbours, communities and stakeholders about the best way to renew these estates and make them great places to live.
Your ideas will help us create vibrant, safe and thriving communities.
You can share your ideas:
There are three phases of public consultations:
- February 2017: Phase one
- May 2017: Phase two
- September 2017 (to be confirmed): Phase three.
Public consultations in June:
- Tuesday 13 June from 1pm to 3pm at George Bills Community Centre (Bills Street, Hawthorn)
- Wednesday 14 June from 5pm to 7pm at University of Melbourne Hawthorn Campus (Room 2114, 442 Auburn Road, Hawthorn).